Criminology is an interdisciplinary field in behavioral and sociologies, drawing particularly upon exploring sociologists, clinicians, logicians, specialists, social anthropologists, and law researchers.
Criminology studies crime from a social perspective: the causes, the social impact of crime, and the criminals involved.
Criminologists study criminology to understand better what motivates the criminal to act criminally. Individuals studying criminology often become detectives or federal law enforcement investigators.
Their work is generally focused on the study of:
- Theories explaining illegal and/or deviant behavior.
- The social reaction to crime.
- The political terrain of social control.
- The effectiveness of anti-crime policies.
- Crime victims
Admission Requirements To Study Criminology & Security Studies
To be Admitted into this course, Aspirants are expected to take English Language, Economics, Mathematics, and Government in the annual UTME examination.
They are also expected to have a 5 credit pass in WAEC/NECO with subjects including Mathematics, English Language, Economics, and any two other social science subjects.
- ND in Law, Criminal Justice, and Public Administration passes with lower credit or higher grades.
- A recognized first Degree from any Nigerian or Foreign University.
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Government, Sociology, Economics, Geography, Civics, History, and any Hausa or IS, IJMB with nine points in the above Subjects.
UTME Subjects Combinations
- English Language
And any one of the following:
- Literature In English
Nigerian Universities That Offer Criminology & Security Studies
The following is the list of universities offering Criminology And Security Studies courses:
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Federal University, Duste (FUD)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Kaduna State University (KASU)
- Bayero University, Kano (BUK)
- Lead City University, Ibadan (LCU)
- Chrisland University, Owode National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Western Delta University, Oghara (WDU)
- Achievers University, Owo (AC)
- Arthur Jarvis University, Akpoyubo
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Atiba University, Oyo
- Crawford University, Igbesa (CU)
- Coal City University (CCU)
- Dominion Universiitty, Ibadan
- National Open University (NOUN)
- Western Delta University (WDU)
- Nile University Of Nigeria (NTUN)
- Kwarafa University, Wukari
- Nigerian Army University Biu (NAUB)
A degree in criminology and security studies can provide an excellent foundation for employment in various relevant professions, ranging from more reputable fields like prison and police services to businesses that focus on group welfare and security.
To all Students aspiring to major in Criminology and Security Studies, we hope you found this article useful; as always, we wish you the best in all your academic pursuits.