The United Nations is currently inviting young individual students from all over the world to apply for the United Nations Young Professionals Programme (YPP) 2022 for Talented Individuals.
About United Nations Young Professionals Programme
The United Nations Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly qualified professionals to start a career as an international civil servant with the United Nations Secretariat. It consists of an entrance examination and professional development programmes once successful candidates start their career with the UN.
The United Nations Young Professionals Programme examination is held once a year and is open to nationals of countries participating in the annual recruitment exercise. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year.
Offered Annually? Yes
To Be Taken At (Country): Various UN Duty stations
Number of Awards: Not specified
Duration of Program: 2 years. After two years and subject to satisfactory performance, successful candidates may be granted a continuing contract.
Eligible Countries: Each year, countries that are un- or under-represented in the United Nations, are invited to take part in the United Nations Young Professionals Programme. See list below:Afghanistan, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Belarus, Belize, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, China, Comoros, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kiribati, Kuwait, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, Mozambique, Nauru, Norway, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Sudan, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Syria, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam
Here are more scholarships like this you might like:
Value of United Nations Young Professionals Programme:
- Salary and Post adjustments
- Rental subsidy if newly arrived at the duty station your rent represents too high proportion of the total remuneration.
- Dependency allowances if you have an eligible dependent spouse and/or child(ren).
- Under certain conditions an education grant if you have eligible children in school.
- Travel and shipping expenses when you are moving from one duty station to another.
- Assignment grant to assist you in meeting initial extraordinary costs when arriving at or relocating to a new duty station.
- At some duty stations, a hardship allowance linked to living and working conditions is paid and where there are restrictions on bringing family members, a non-family hardship allowance is also paid.
- Hazard pay and rest and recuperation break when you serve in locations where the conditions are particularly hazardous, stressful and difficult.
- Many more benefits…
Fields of Study
The job openings can be found on the UN Careers Portal and in Inspira. The exam areas and their corresponding job openings are:
- Social Affairs/Social Policy and Development.
- Statistics and Data Science.
And a quick reminder that candidates are allowed to submit an application for only one YPP job opening. Submissions to multiple YPP exams will result in an automatic disqualification.
- must have the nationality of a participating country.
- must hold at least a first-level university degree relevant for the exam subject you are applying for.
- must be 32 or younger in the year of the examination.
- must be fluent in either English or French.
Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat who work within the General Service and other related categories and aspire to a career within the Professional and higher categories, are encouraged to apply.
- Your application will be screened to determine if you are eligible for the examination in the exam subject you applied for.
- If more than 40 applicants from the same country apply for the same exam area, those applicants will be further screened and ranked by a Human Resources Officer according to points given for the following additional qualifications: highest level of education completed, knowledge of official UN languages, and relevant work experience.
- Please be aware that many potential applicants do not pass the screening stage due to incomplete or inaccurate applications.
- If your application was successful, you will be informed that you are convoked to the examination.
- If determined that you are not eligible to apply or if your application was unsuccessful, you will be informed that you have not been convoked to the examination.
- You will be able to check the status of your application by typing your application number in the search section on the Convocation status & Examination centre page (See link in Application Process in Program Webpage Link below).
How to Apply for United Nations Young Professionals Programme
See in Program Webpage (Link below)
Award Providers: The United Nations (UN)
Important Notes: THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Application Deadline: 13th February 2022.