This article is designed to help students who wish to study Sociology Faculty of Social and Management Sciences in University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) as it is very important for all candidates who wish to apply for any of the courses offered in University of Port-Harcourt to carefully confirm and see if the course they Selected is offered in the institution before registering for JAMB.
The University of Port Harcourt is a university in the Nigerian city of Port Harcourt. It was established in 1975 as University College, Port Harcourt and was given University status in 1977. The University of Port Harcourt was ranked the sixth in Africa and the first in Nigeria by Times Higher Education.
The University of Port Harcourt is a federal government owned university in Nigeria Located in rivers state, The university has a large student and staff population and we believe the student body is diverse. The university has students from different religions cultures and age brackets. The university is very cheap and offers tuition that can be affordable to every Nigeria. University of port Harcourt has offers various degree programs at various level in science, social sciences, engineering etc. The university has a library, hostels, roads, and other good infrastructure like college buildings etc.
To study Sociology candidates must meet the following requirements.
The O’level subject combination and requirements needed to study Sociology;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes in Government or History, English Language and three other subjects. At least a pass in Mathematics is required
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) LASU requires credit passes in Mathematics, English Language and three other subjects from Economics, Government, Commerce, Geography, CRS, IRS, Accounts, Yoruba or a Science subject.
(2) UNIILORIN requires at least 2 Social Science subjects and a pass in Mathematics.
(3) AAU, UNIBEN, AAUA and DELSU require credits in Mathematics
(4) UNIILORIN accepts Five ‘O’ level credit passes from Arts, Science or Social Science Subjects
(5) ABSU and UNICAL accept a pass in Mathematics.
(6) UI accepts 5 ‘O’ level credits passes from Arts, Science or Social /Science.
(7) FED-LAFIA requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government and any two of Economics, Commerce, History, IRS or CRK.
(8) DELSU and BOWEN require five SSCE credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, and any two social science subjects plus any other subject.
(9) UNILAG requires English Language, Mathematics plus two Social Science subjects and one Arts subject.
(10) REDEEMER’S requires five ‘O level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics and three additional subjects in Social; Sciences or Arts
(11) AAUA requires credit in English Language, Mathematics and any one of Geography/ History, Government and any two other subjects.
(12) ABU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Government or History, Economics, Geography, CRK/IRK and at last a pass in Mathematics.
(13) KASU requires a credit in Mathematics.
(14) ABSU same as in Political Science.
(15) GO same as in Political Science and International Relations.
(16) PAUL requires five SSCE credit passes in not more than two sittings including English Language, Mathematics and three Arts/Social Science subjects.
(17) BSU requires five SSCE credit passes from any Social Science or Arts subjects
(18) WESTERN-DEL same as in Political Science and Public Administration
(19) JABU requires at least a pass in Mathematics
(20) NDU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government or History and three other subjects in not more than two.
(21) KWASU requires credit passes in English, Mathematics, Government and any two other social sciences.
(22) ABUAD requires credit passes in English language, History/Government and any other two Arts or Social Science subjects. At least a pass in Mathematics is required.
(23) GO requires five SSCE credit passes to include English, Mathematics, History or Government or Economics and two Science, Art or Social Science subjects.
(34) UMYUK requires Five credit passes at SSCE (or its equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two from Commerce, Government Geography, Accounting and Book Keeping in not more than two sittings.
(25) FED-OYEEKITI requires credit pass in Mathematics and one Science subject.
(26) KSU requires credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Economics/Geography/Government and any two other relevant subjects.
(27) UNIPORT requires English Language and any three others from Social Science [including Mathematics]/Arts subject.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Sociology under the Faculty of Social & Management Sciences in the above Universities include;
Government or History plus two other Social Science/Arts subjects
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) UI – The 3 subjects to be chosen from Arts, Science or Social Science subjects.
(2) UNIPORT and AAU accept Mathematics as UTME subjects.
(3) AAUA requires Government and accepts Mathematics.
(4) KSU accepts English language. Mathematics and three others from Government or History, Economics, Geography, Commerce and Agric. Sci.
(5) FED-OYEEKITI, ABU and ABUAD require Government/History plus two other subjects
(6) BSU accepts any three subjects from Arts or S/Sciences
(7) WESTERN-DEL requires three Social Science or Arts subject.
(8) LASU requires Government/History, Economics/Commerce and any other Social Science subject.
(9) DELSU requires two Social science subjects and any other subject.
(10) ABUAD for Intelligence and Security Studies requires History/Government, Geography plus one Arts or Social Science subject.
(11) KWASU requires Mathematics, Government and any other Arts or Social Science subject.
(12) UNILAGOS requires three Social science subjects or Arts subjects. It accepts Mathematics as UTME subjects.
(13) FED-LAFIA requires Government and any two of Economics, Commerce, History, Geography, Literature in English or CRK/IRS.
(14) BAYERO requires Government or History plus two other Social Science.
These are the conditions you need to fulfill to gain Direct Entry admission to study Sociology, if you don’t intend to use UTME.
You require; Three Social Science or Arts subjects.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) UNIPORT – No direct entry
(2) UI accepts 2 ‘A’ level passes from Arts, Science or Social Science.
(3) UNILAG accepts;
(a) Very good passes in three JUPEB/A-LEVEL subjects: Any three (3) of Economics, Government, Geography, History and CRS/IRS
(b) Cambridge A/Level pass in Government
(c) Candidates must satisfy O/Level requirement.
(4) UDU accepts National Diploma in Mass Communication with credit level pass and NCE (Social Studies).
(5) UNIBEN accepts in Social Development and Administration
(6) DELSU accepts two A’ level passes to include a Social Science subject.
(7) LASU accepts ‘A’ passes in two relevant.
(8) AAUA accepts ND upper credit in relevant fields. Requires ‘A’ level passes in Government and one Social Science subject.
(9) IGBINEDION – As for Political Science and Public Administration.
(10) BOWEN accepts two ‘A’ level passes to include Economics and any one of Government, Geography and History
(11) TASUED requires two of Economics, Government/Pol. Science, Religious Studies, Geography and Social Studies.
(12) UNIJOS accepts two (2) ‘A’ level passes in any of the Social Sciences subjects for IJMB (candidates must have met ‘O’ level entry requirements).
(13) ABU accepts two ‘A’ level/IJMB which must include Sociology or Government/ History and any other subject.
(14) AAU accepts two ‘A’ level passes from Mathematics, Economics, Government and Geography.
(15) WESTERN-DEL – Same as in Political Science and Public Administration.
(16) KWASU accepts IJMB and two A’ levels papers in relevant subjects.
(17) GO accepts BSc, BA or HND in any discipline.
(18) UMYUK accepts:
a. (IJMB) certificate with a minimum of nine (9) points. The IJMB papers should include Sociology and two other Social Sciences Subjects.
b. Two-year National Diploma in the relevant subject area, with a minimum of lower credit.
c. National Certificate in Education (NCE) with a minimum of ‘C’ grade in Social Studies and nine (9) points in overall grading.
All candidates interested in getting admitted into University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) for the 2019/2020 session, should know that to be eligible for the screening, you must have scored 180 or above in your JAMB result.