The Council of the University of Ilorin hereby announces to the general academic community that the post of Vice-Chancellor of the University will be vacant with effect from 16th October, 2022.
In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act No. 11 of 1993, as amended by Act No. 25 of 1996 and The Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2012, the Council has decided to commence in earnest the due process of appointing a new Vice-Chancellor. Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position.
A Brief History of the University
Established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1975, the University of Ilorin is one of the fastest-growing public universities in Nigeria with an enviable record of academic excellence. The University has been the most sought-after University by candidates in the past five (5) years.
The Vision of the University is to be an international centre of excellence in learning, research, probity and service to humanity, while the Mission statement is to provide a world-class environment for learning, research and community service. The University guides jealously its core values which are coined to encourage inclusiveness in its operations. These core values are: Excellence, Integrity and Transparency, Empathy, Justice and Fair Play, Innovation and Creativity, and Team Work.
The University has sixteen (16) Faculties, (one) 1 College of Health Sciences, (six) 6 Institutes, twenty (20) Centres, including a Centre for Open and Distance Learning, thirty-three (33) Directorates, and a Postgraduate School, with a student population of over 52,000 and a total staff strength of 3,745. The University prides itself as one of the most stable Universities in Nigeria, where academic activities are carried out in a serene, peaceful and friendly environment, with students completing their programmes as and when due. The students and staff composition is truly diverse with a healthy mix of national and international populations.
The University has carved for itself a niche in the areas of teaching and applied research. For example, the University has, at various times, been ranked best in research and development and other academic endeavours. Of recent, the University ranked 7th in the overall ranking of Nigerian Universities by the National Universities Commission (NUC), 3rd in Federal Universities category and 1st in the North-Central Geopolitical Zone category. It was also ranked 2nd in Nigeria by the Times Higher Education (THE) in February 2022. It is one of the two Universities ranked A+ in the only Institutional Accreditation of Nigerian Universities by the National Universities Commission (NUC), 2011/2012session, thereby earning a 7-year full institutional accreditation status.
The Vice-Chancellor shall, in line with the Act establishing the University, be the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University and shall exercise general supervision over the University. The Vice-Chancellor shall be Ex-Officio Chairman of Senate, Congregation and a member of the University Governing Council. The Vice- Chancellor shall be responsible to the Council for the day-to-day management of the human, financial and material resources of the University.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the post of the Vice- Chancellor, University of Ilorin, shall:
- be a distinguished Professor of not less than 10 years as at 16th October, 2022 in one of the disciplines offered by the University of Ilorin;
- have demonstrable and astute managerial abilities to maintain the peace, inclusiveness and academic stability for which the University is reputed;
- be a scholar of outstanding national and international repute, with proficiency in Information and Communication Technology (ICT),and have considerable experience at top levels of University Administration;
- be a Professor with a track record of teaching, research and community service;
- be a person of entrepreneurial and innovative pre-disposition, with a proven track record appropriate to the vision and mission of a first class University;
- be a person endowed with strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership;
- be a person capable of inspiring the advancement of learning and reaching out to all persons;
- be of a sound health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character for inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students; and
- have proven ability to initiate contacts and funding from national and international sources.
All claims shall be verifiable with evidences.
Method of Application
Each applicant must forward thirty (30) copies of signed Curriculum Vitae and an electronic CD copy in PDF format, clearly labelled, which must contain:
- Full Names
- Date of Birth
- Permanent Home Address
- Current Postal Address including e-mail address and Telephone contact
- Marital Status
- Number of Children (With Dates of births)
- Institutions Attended (With Dates)
- Academic Qualifications (With Dates)
- Professional Qualifications (With Dates)
- Honours, Distinctions and Membership of Learned Societies and Professional bodies
- Publications, discoveries and/or inventions (giving all relevant details)
- Work experience in the University system (giving names of institution(s) and dates)
- Details of administrative and managerial experience in the University system, as well as fund attraction, with evidence
- Specific services to local, national, international communities and organisations (giving dates, institutions/establishments and status)
- Present Employment: Status, Salary and Employer
- Extra-Curricular activities: and
- Names and Addresses of three Referees (one of whom must, where appropriate, be the head of the establishment where the applicant currently works).
Applicants are required to submit along with their applications, 30 hard copies and a soft copy of a statement of the candidate’s vision for the University in the next five years in not more than 1,000 words and not less than 600 words.
Conditions of Service
The appointment shall be for one term of five years only, while salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for Vice-Chancellors of Federal Universities by the Federal Government and the Council.
Mode of Submission of Application
Application should be submitted (in a sealed envelope clearly marked at the top left comer, “Application for the Post of Vice-Chancellor”) to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, University of Ilorin, P.M.B. 1515, Ilorin, Nigeria, not later than 3.30 p.m. on Monday 16th May 2022 (six weeks from the date of this advertisement).
The listed Referees are to directly submit or post their reports to the Registrar under confidential cover in an envelope clearly marked “Referee’s Report for the Post of Vice-Chancellor” to reach the Registrar not later than Monday, 16th May 2022.
Candidates who would have attained the age of 65 years as at 16th October 2022 need not apply.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be invited for an interview.
Dr. Fola M. Olowoleni
Registrar and Secretary to Council