This article is designed to help students who wish to study Political Science under the Faculty of Social & Management Sciences in University of Benin as it is very important for all candidates who wish to apply for any of the courses offered in UNIBEN to carefully confirm and see if the course they Selected is offered in the institution before registering for JAMB.
University of Benin is a federal government owned university, funded and managed by the federal government of Nigeria. The university was founded in 1970. University of Benin (UNIBEN) is a research university located in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. The university is one of the oldest in Nigeria and has a very large student and staff population. Resulting in a student staff ratio of about 10:1.The University has a diverse student population with student from different parts of the country and different age brackets. University of Benin courses cut across various levels in agriculture, science, etc. university of Benin admission is extremely competitive as Many candidates apply for admission into the university annually. University of Benin school fees is also very affordable and it provides its students with facilities and infrastructure, they have good hostels, roads electricity etc.The National Universities Commission (NUC) has accredited faculties and departments in the university.
The O’level subject combination and requirements needed to study Political Science;
You require; Five SSCE credit passes in Government or History, English Language and three other subjects. At least a pass in Mathematics is required
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) ABUAD, GO, OOU, DELSU, UNICAL, OAU, LASU, and EKSU require credit pass in Mathematics. EKSU also requires another Social Science subject apart from Government.
(2) OAU and UNICAL require credit pass in Government.
(3) UI requires 5 ‘O’ level credits in Government/History,English. Language and three other subjects plus at least a pass in Mathematics.
(4) UNICAL requires two Social Science subjects including Government. It does not accept History in lieu of Government.
(5) DELSU and UNN require credit pass in Government and any 2 other subjects plus at least a pass in Mathematics. Does not accept History in lieu of Government.
(6) EBSU requires credit pass Mathematics and two other subject.
(7) AAUA accepts National Diploma in related Discipline at Upper Credit level.
(8) JABU accepts a pass in Mathematics.
(9) COVENANT same as Marketing.
(10) ABU requires five O/level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government or History, and any other two Social Sciences or Arts Subject.
(11) KASU requires a credit in Mathematics.
(12) ABSU requires Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Government or History and any three subjects from Arts, Social Science subject and at least a pass in Mathematics
(13) REDEEMER’S requires Five ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government or History and two other subjects.
(14) KWASU accepts credit passes in English, Mathematics, Government/History and two other social science subjects or one Arts and 1 social science subject.
(15) UNILAG requires five credit passes to include English Language, mathematics, Government plus two other subjects from Economics, Geography, History, Literature in English, CRS/IRS.
(16) UMYUK requires five credit passes at SSCE (or its equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics, Government or History and any other two credits in Arts/Social Science subjects in not more than two sittings.
(17) KSU – Credit pass in Mathematics is required.
(18) FED-LAFIA – Same as in Sociology.
(19) BOWEN requires five credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Government and one social science subjects.
(20) ESUTECH requires five credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Government and two social science subjects.
(21) EDWIN CLARK requires five credit passes to include English Language, Economics, Government and any other two subjects plus at least a pass in Mathematics.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Political Science under the Faculty of Social & Management Sciences in the above Universities include;
Government or History plus two other Social Science/Arts subjects
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) LASU requires Mathematics.
(2) UNIILORIN – Government or History plus any two of Economics, Geography Lit in English, English and Mathematics
(3) UI – 3 subjects in Arts, Science Social Sciences
(4) AAU – Government and Mathematics are mandatory
(5) UNILAG requires Government and any other 2 subjects from Economics, Geography, History, Literature in English, CRS/IRS and Mathematics.
(6) DELSU requires Government, one Social Science subject and any other subject.
(7) EBSU requires Government and Economics.
(8) AAUA accepts three Arts or Social Science subjects and Mathematics
(9) ABU requires Government or History, and any two of Economics, Geography, Civic Education, Islamic Studies, CRS.
(10) ABUAD and KWASU require Government and any two (2) Social science or one (1) Arts and one (1) Social Science subject or Mathematics.
(11) FED-LAFIA – Same as in Sociology.
(12) OAU accepts Mathematics, Government and any one of Economics, Geography or Literature in English.
(13) BOWEN requires Mathematics, Government and any other Social Science subject.
(14) BAYERO requires Government or History plus two other Social Science subjects
These are the conditions you need to fulfill to gain Direct Entry admission to study Political Science, if you don’t intend to use UTME.
You require; Two ‘A’ level passes including Government or History.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
(1) UNICAL requires three ‘A’ level passes in Government and any one of Economics, Mathematics and Geography. History not acceptable in lieu of Government but accepts I.J.M.B.
(2) UNIILORIN and DELSU accept ‘A’ level passes in Government, and any Social Science subject.
(3) OAU requires Government.
(4) UNIZIK and IBADAN accept any two A level passes
(5) BINGHAM accepts National Diploma in Public Administration at merit level
(6) AAU requires A level passes in Government and one social science subject are mandatory.
(5) UNIZIK requires similar requirement as for Economics for both Direct Entry and UTME applicants. But a pass in O/L Mathematics is acceptable
(6) UNILAG requires ;
(a) Very good passes in three JUPEB/A-LEVEL subjects: Government, and any two of Lit-in- English, Economics, History, and CRS/IRS, Geography.
(b) Two (2) Cambridge A/Level passes including Government/History.
(c) Candidates must also satisfy the ‘O’ Level requirement.
(7) COVENANT accepts ND (Upper credit) Public Administration plus UTME requirements.
(8) AAUA – same as in Accounting
(9) ABU as in International Studies
(10) ANSU accepts ND/HND (Lower Credit) or NCE in any related Social/Management Science.
(11) GSU accepts NCE in relevant subject.
(12) UNIJOS IN addition to the ‘A’ level passes required, credit passes at the ordinary level must include English Language, Government or History.
(13) EBSU accepts HND, NCE and ND with a minimum of Merit and Upper credit respectively in relevant fields.
(14) UNN accepts National Diploma in Public Administration at merit level plus UTME requirements.
(15) AAUA accepts National Diploma in related discipline at Upper credit level.
(16) ABU accepts Three ‘A’ level/IJMB passes from any of the following subjects: Government, History, Sociology, Economics, Geography.
(17) AAU accepts two ‘A’ level passes from Mathematics, Economics, Geography and Government or History are acceptable.”
(18) LASU accepts first degree in cognate or related discipline with minimum of second class lower division.
(19) DELSU accepts ND (Upper credit) from a recognised Polytechnic or degree in Arts, Social science or Law at least Third Class honours.
(20) KWASU accepts two A’ Level passes in Govt. and any one of History. Economics, Business methods and Geography or ND (upper credit) in Public Admin. Or LOCAL Government or HND (Lower Credit) in Public Administration or Local Government.
(21) GO requires three ‘A’ level passes in Government and any one of Economics, Mathematics and Geography. I.J.M.B.
(22) RENAISSANCE accepts at least apass in A’ level GCE or its equivalent in Government and History or a National Diploma.
(23) NDU accepts:
a. Two ‘A’ level passes in Government and any one of the following: Economics, History or Geography.
b. N.C.E. at credit level in Political Science and in combination or Local Government Administration with credit passes.
(24) SOUTHWESTERN accepts IJMB/NCE/ND/HND or its equivalents.
(25) BOWEN requires two A’ level passes in Government and any one of Economics, Geography, Mathematics or History.
All candidates interested in getting admitted into UNIBEN for the 2019/2020 session, should know that to be eligible for the screening, you must have scored 200 or above in your JAMB result.