What are the compulsory subjects in WAEC and JAMB to study Marine Engineering? You need to know that various subjects are expected of you to write for you to get the required course of your choice.
Choosing the right subject combination is the first step in the admission process. Hence, you need to know the right subjects for your desired course of study.
The following information is available on this page:
- Marine Engineering O’Level (WAEC & NECO) Subjects and Requirements;
- Marine Engineering Direct Entry Subject and Requirements;
- Marine Engineering UTME Subjects Combination;
- In addition, we have added other helpful information to enable you to stay on the right path as you gain admission to study Marine Engineering at a Nigerian University.
Admission Requirement For Marine Engineering in Nigeria
WAEC or Neco Subject Combination for Marine Engineering & Requirements
- English Language
- One Science subject, including Biology, Chemistry, Agric Science, Economics, or Geography
JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Marine Engineering
NOTE: English Language and Mathematics are compulsory for Waec, and the English Language is compulsory in JAMB, while Mathematics is not Compulsory. You can choose any three subjects you choose to join with the English Language, making it four.
UTME Requirement for Marine Engineering:
Five (5) SSC credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, and at least three (3) of Physics, Chemistry, and one Science subject, including Biology, Chemistry, Agric Science, Economics, or Geography.
Direct Entry Requirement for Marine Engineering
If you wish to apply for Marine Engineering through direct entry as opposed to applying through IJBM, JUBEB, or Predegree, you would need to possess the following requirements:
- A Level passes in Mathematics and Physics.
- ND/HND upper credit at appropriate levels.
List of Universities Offering Marine Engineering
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden, Akwa Ibom State – AKSU
- University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State – BENIN
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun, Delta State – FUPRE
- Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta State – MARITIME-UNI
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State – NDU
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt, Rivers State – RSUST
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Mathematics compulsory for Marine Engineering in JAMB?
Yea. Mathematics is not optional if you want to study Marine Engineering, it is a must-add subject.
Is further maths compulsory for Marine Engineering?
No. Further Maths is not a compulsory subject to add to your WAEC or JAMB UTME if you want to Study Marine Engineering.
What are the main subjects for Marine Engineering?
You need the following subjects to study Marine Engineering in JAMB; Mathematics, English Language, Physics, and Chemistry.
What are the compulsory subjects for Marine Engineering?
The Compulsory Subjects for Marine Engineering In WAEC are WAEC; English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and any other science subject.
While for JAMB UTME, you must write the following: Use of English, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
Can I Study Marine Engineering Without Physics in JAMB?
No. It is not possible to wave Physics as Physics is a must subject to write in both O’ level (WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB) and JAMB if you must study Marine Engineering.
Is Geography needed In Marine Engineering?
No. Geography is not a compulsory subject to study Marine Engineering.
To study Marine Engineering in Nigeria, you’ll need to score at least credits (C6) in your Five (5) core courses in WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB which includes: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and any other science subject. And sit for four (4) subjects in JAMB which are Use of English, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.