The governing body of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) has reviewed the miscellaneous fees due from its student population. This decision follows an extensive dialogue between the University’s executive management and the representatives of the Student Union on the 25th of September, 2023.
Striving for Compromise
The discussion was an initiative of the University’s administration in response to the numerous appeals and demonstrations led by the Student Union, advocating for a reduction in the preliminary fees demanded by the University.
The leadership of the Student Union steadfastly insisted on a 50% reduction in the approved charges. However, the University’s management clarified that the revised charges are the fundamental minimum essential for maintaining operational efficiency within the institution.
With an understanding and considerate approach, the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Adebayo Simeon Bamire, cordially announced a structured reduction in the previous charges. The revisions are detailed as follows:
- Returning students will now remit ₦76,000, a decrease from the initial ₦89,200.
- Fresh students will pay ₦131,000, revised from the initial ₦151,200.
Sciences and Technology Students
- The revised fee for returning students is ₦86,000, down from ₦101,200.
- New enrollees will now contribute ₦141,000, a reduction from the previous ₦163,200.
Pharmacy and College of Health Sciences Students
- Returning scholars in these faculties will remit ₦109,000 instead of the initial ₦128,200.
- Newly admitted students are obliged to pay ₦164,000, a decrease from the former ₦190,000.
Flexible Payment Schedule
Acknowledging the diverse financial capabilities of the students, the University’s management has also accorded the flexibility of remitting the payments in two equal segments.
Consequently, to facilitate a smooth transaction, the University’s portal has been activated and is now accessible for students to commence their payments.
This generous gesture by the management of Obafemi Awolowo University highlights a commitment to making education more accessible and easing the financial burden on students and guardians.
By cultivating an environment of understanding and mutual respect between the administrative bodies and the student representatives, OAU has set an impressive standard in addressing and resolving student concerns effectively.