This article is designed to help students who wish to study Guidance and Counselling under the Faculty of Education in Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) as it is very important for all candidates who wish to apply for any of the courses offered in to carefully confirm and see if the course they Selected is offered in the institution before registering for JAMB.
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), formerly known as University of Ife, is a federal government owned and operated Nigerian university. The university is in the ancient city of Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. The university was founded in 1961 and classes commenced in October 1962 as the University of Ife by the regional government of Western Nigeria, led by late chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola, and was renamed Obafemi Awolowo University on 12 May 1987 in honour of Chief Obafemi Awolowo (1909–1987), first premier of the Western Region of Nigeria, whose brainchild the university was
Obafemi Awolowo University offers undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, the arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, the medical sciences, engineering and technology.
The university has 13 faculties and two colleges the Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences — administered in more than 60 departments. It was previously associated with Loma Linda University in California, USA.
The O’level subject combination and requirements needed to study Guidance and Counseling;
Five (5) ‘O’ Level NTC/NBC credit passes or TC II merit including English Language with ‘O’ Level pass in Mathematics.
1. UNIABUJA, EBSU, TASUED and UNILAG require credit passes in two Arts/Science subjects in addition to English Language and Mathematics.
2. DELSU requires credit pass in Mathematics and a pass in Biology/Health Sciences
3. UNILAG requires five (5) credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any two (2) of Literature in English, History or Government, French, Geography, Yoruba/Igbo, crk/irs, Economics.
4. IMSU requires English Language, Biology, one Science subject and two others.
5. TASUED requires Five ‘O’ level credits at one sitting or six ‘O’ level credits at two sittings to include English Language, Biology and other subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Sciences. Credit in Mathematics is compulsory for those with teaching subject options in Science and social Sciences.
6. UI – requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes at one sitting including English Language, Biology and other Arts/Social Science subjects.
7. UNN accepts With Teaching subject 4-year Degree Programme
(a) Minimum University requirement plus at least a pass at credit level in WASC/NECO/TC II etc in teaching subject to be combined.
(b) Additional requirements for specific subject combination include:
(1) “G/C combined with a Science Teaching subject (mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Integrated Science) – As in Ed/Science.
(2) G/C combined with Social Science Teaching Subject (Social Studies, Economics, Geography, Political science) – As in Ed/Social Science.
(3) G/C combined with Arts Teaching subject (English, French, Music, Igbo linguistics, History, Religious studies, Fine and Applied Arts) – As in Ed/Arts.
8. NDU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Biology and any other two subjects.
9. IAUED – Same as in Education and Management.
10. BSU requires five (5) O’ level credit passes in English Language and at least a pass in Mathematics at not more than two sittings.
11. NDU requires five O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Biology and any other two subjects in not more than two sittings.
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Guidance and Counseling under the Faculty of Education in the above Universities include;
Any three (3) subjects.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
1. UNILAG accepts any 3 of Lit. In English, History/Government, French, Yoruba/Igbo, CRS/IRS, Geography, Economics, Commerce and Mathematics.
2. IMSU requires Biology and two other subjects.
3. EKSU same as in Nursery and Primary Education .
4. UNN requires:
(a) G. C. Combined with Science teaching subject – same as for Education/Science combination in the relevant teaching subject.
(b) G. C. combined with Social Science teaching subject – same as in the relevant teaching subject.
(c) G. C. combined with an Art teaching subject – same as Education/Arts combination in the relevant teaching subject.
These are the conditions you need to fulfill to gain Direct Entry admission to study Guidance and Counseling, if you don’t intend to use UTME.
‘A’ Level passes or NCE in two (2) subjects plus the UTME requirements.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER) REMARKS
1. IBADAN – Same as Adult Education. IBADAN requires ‘O’ Level credit pass in Mathematics for all Science based combination and Economics, while ‘O’ Level pass in Mathematics is required for other Social Science courses. ‘A’ Level/NCE requirement should be in the teaching subjects available at UI.
2. OOU and UNN accept TC I and ACE.
3. UNILAG requires:
(a) Very good passes in three JUPEB subjects: Lit- in English, Economics, CRS/IRS, Government, History, Igbo, Yoruba, French and Geography.
(b) Two (2) A/Level in Lit-in English, Economics, CRS/IRS Government, History, Igbo, Yoruba, French and Geography.
(c) NCE: Any two (2) of Lit-in English, Economics, CRS/IRS, Government, History, Igbo, Yoruba, French and Geography.
(d) Candidates must satisfy O/Level requirement.
4. TASUED same as in Educational management
5. UNN accepts any of the following for three year Degree Programme (Professional)
(a) NCE/ACE in Two Relevant subjects at merit level or above.
(b) Certificate in Nursing and Midwifery [NRN, SRN, NRM] recognized by the University for the purpose of direct entry admissions with at least a merit level pass.
For 3-Year Direct Entry Degree Programme with a teaching subject in the following areas, candidate must satisfy the UTME Entry requirement.
(i) G/C Combined with a SCIENCE Teaching subject (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Integrated Science).
(ii) GC/Combined with a Social Science Teaching subject [Social Studies, Economics, Geography, Political Science].
(iii) G/C Combination with an Arts Teaching Subject [English, French, Music, Igbo Linguistics, History, Religious Studies, Fine and Applied Arts].
6. EKSU accepts NCE with a minimum of merit passes in relevant subjects combination.
7. DELSU accepts Merit pass at NCE or ‘A’ Level Passes in any two subjects at one sitting.
8. IAUED – Same as in Education and Management.
9. BSU requires NCE major passes in relevant subject with SSCE/GCE O’ level credit/TC II merit in three other subjects and credit pass in Mathematics OR a pass at Lower Credit level in a relevant ND/ND from any recognised institution of higher learning provided the O’ level requirements are met.
10. NDU – Same as Vocational and Technical Education.
All candidates interested in getting admitted into OAU for the 2019/2020 session, should know that to be eligible for the screening, you must have scored 200 or above in your JAMB result.