Materials and Metallurgical Engineering is a broad discipline that studies materials, including metals and non-metals, their extraction, production, recycling, environmental stability, and applications in various aspects of human life.
Metallurgical and Material Engineering can be studied under the Engineering, Environment & Technology in the following Nigerian Universities;
- The Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology (ESUT)
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
- Federal University of Technology Minna (FUTMINNA)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology (OSUSTECH)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE)
FUTO offers this course with options in the following:
- Material Engineering Technology
- Metallurgical Engineering Technology
- Ceramic Engineering Technology
Subject Combination / UTME Requirements
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combinations needed to study Metallurgical and Material Engineering under the Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Technology in the above Universities include:
The O’level subject combination and requirements needed to study Metallurgical and Material Engineering include the following:
Five (5) SSC credit passes to include:
- English Language, and any one Science subject
Direct Entry Requirements
These are the conditions you need to fulfill to gain Direct Entry admission to study Metallurgical and Material Engineering if you don’t intend to use UTME. You require:
- ‘A’ level passes in any two of Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry
Special Consideration (Waiver) Remarks
- ESUTECH requires an ‘O’ level credit pass in English Language.
- UNILAG requires five (5) O’ level credit passes, including Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, and English Language.
- ESUTECH accepts NCE/ND/HND/ first degree in the relevant subjects.
- FUTA accepts ND upper credit or equivalent in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering or related programmes from recognized institutions; or good passes at ‘A’ level or equivalent in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.
- UNIILORIN – Same as in Agricultural and Biosystem Engineering. Relevant Programmes include Chemical Engineering Technology, Foundry Engineering Technology, Glass/Ceramics Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Metallurgy, Mineral Processing Engineering Technology, Mineral Resources Engineering Technology, Biomedical Engineering Technology, Polymer Technology, Welding and Fabrication Technology, Wood and Paper Technology.
- UNILAG – Same as in Chemical Engineering. Accepts HND upper credit and ND distinction in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering.
- OAU accepts ND/HND upper credit in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering into parts II and III appropriately.
- OAU requires ‘A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics or ND/HND upper credit plus UTME requirements
Metallurgical engineering is a great career option for many students because it is an interesting, challenging, and rewarding field.
To all Students wishing to major in Metallurgical & Material Engineering, RealMina wishes you success in your academic pursuits.