Fisheries science studies freshwater, marine, and/or estuarine aquatic systems.
In this article, we will share The subject combinations needed to study Fisheries Studies, JAMB UTME Subjects and Requirements, O’Level Subjects Requirements, and other information you require to gain admission to study Fisheries successfully.
List of Universities that offer Fisheries And Aquaculture as a course
The following is the list of universities that offer Fisheries as a course:
- Adamawa State University, Mubi
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden
- Bayero University, Kano
- Crescent University, Abeokuta
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe State
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Modibo Adama University Of Technology, Yola
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Salem University, Lokoja
- University Of Uyo
Subject Combination / JAMB UTME Requirements
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combinations needed to study Fisheries and Aquaculture under the Faculty of Agriculture in the above Universities include;
Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and Mathematics/ Physics.
Special Consideration (Waiver) Remarks
- FUAM accepts Mathematics or Physics as third subject in addition to Chemistry and Biology.
- SALEM requires Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and Physics.
The O’level subject combination and requirements needed to study Fisheries and Aquaculture; You require;
Five (5) SSC credit passes in English Language, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Mathematics, and Physics/Geography/Economics.
Special Consideration (Waiver) Remarks
- RSUST and DELSU accept a pass (D.7) in English Language.
- UNAAB requires:
a) Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.
b) At least a pass in Physics.
c) Candidates with passing grades in Biology must possess a credit pass in Agricultural Science. It does not accept Agricultural Science in place of Biology.
- RSUST requires a pass in Physics.
- UI – The sixth subject for candidates presenting two O’ level results could be geography or Economics.
- FUTO requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, and Economics. It accepts a Pass in Physics in not more than two sittings.
- UNN accepts five O ’level credit passes in subjects, including English Lang., Biology/or Agric. Science, chemistry, and either mathematics or physics.
- FUTA requires a Credit in Physics and does not accept Geography and Economics.
- RSUST requires credit pass in Agricultural Science with at least a pass in Biology. It also requires credit passes in Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics.
- EBSU requires at least a pass in Physics.
- FUTA requires five (5) credits in WASSCE or GCE (O/L) or equivalent at a maximum of two (2) sittings in the following subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and Economics or Geography. At least a pass in Physics is required.
- UNIOSUN requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes in the SSCE or its equivalent at not more than two sittings and an acceptable credit pass in the UTME.
- FUAM requires At least five SSCE/NECO/GCE O’ Level credits at not more than two sittings. The five credits O’ Level shall include the following:
Credits in Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science; Mathematics, English, and any other Science subject among Physics, Geography or Economics.
Credit in Physics is not compulsory. A candidate with a pass in Mathematics but credit in Physics will be accepted.
A candidate with a pass in Biology but credits (C5 and above) in Agric. Science will be accepted. A pass in English is also accepted.
In this article, we have listed Nigerian universities Offering Fisheries Studies and the requirements needed to study this course.
And more so the different schools or institutions’ requirements.
A degree in this course will give you great insight into fishery studies as a type of agriculture and ways you can make money from it.