Applications are now being accepted for the Nigerian Media Sustainability Challenge. media companies
You can participate in NAMIP’s innovation and capacity building program, which will run through 2024, and get up to $50,000 for your idea.
The NAMIP Sustainability Challenge proposals must be submitted by February 28, 2023.
The Sustainability Challenge is accepting applications from media companies who aim to increase their “organizational sustainability” by developing cutting-edge news and information products that:
- Seek to Create new revenue-generating prospects or long-term business models.
- Investigate ways to reach and interact with a larger audience via digital platforms and technology; and
NAMIP is being implemented by Media Development Investment Fund and financed by the MacArthur Foundation to accelerate digital innovation and create new economic models for Nigerian independent media.
NAMIP Sustainability Challenge Focus Areas
They encourage applications from existing independent media companies, non-profit media, and new ventures who have projects or news products that address one or more of the following focus areas:
Digital native products
- Do you employ new and innovative approaches to collecting news and information and reporting, storytelling, and distribution that embrace the possibilities of technology?
Reaching rural communities
- Are you developing innovative approaches to reach and empower people outside major urban areas and those generally under-served by existing news media?
Technology innovation for distribution
- Are you developing or have developed new media technology that distributes local news cost-effectively and sustainably?
New Revenue opportunities
- Do you explore innovative solutions to revenue challenges that media companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organizations more sustainable and independent?
Transition to digital
- Are you finding and implementing solutions, products, or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses?
Benefits of the NAMIP Sustainability Challenge
- Successful applicants will benefit from up to $50,000 for their project and access a range of capacity-building activities, including targeted and bespoke training, one-on-one coaching, and joining NAMIP’s supportive community of like-minded organizations.
NAMIP Sustainability Challenge Eligibility
- You could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit, or a new venture just kicking off.
- They are looking for mission-driven companies and organizations passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information.
- They encourage applicants who do not have traditional journalism and media backgrounds, particularly in technology, design, and business.
- They also encourage applicants with independent radio (both community and commercial radio) and TV platforms to develop unique strategies to reach their audiences to apply.
- Note: Participants who applied in the first call but were unsuccessful are still eligible to apply again.
How to Apply NAMIP Sustainability Challenge
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button.
The closing date for this grant cycle is February 28, 2023, at midnight.
Please share this page with someone, and ensure to keep tabs on us as we continue to update you with more information.
I hope this provides the information on the NAMIP Sustainability Challenge
We wish you success and promise to update you with more information.
Continue to check back on our blog for more information.