The JAMB syllabus for Mathematics 2022/2023 has been uploaded. The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board made this move to help students prepare for their forthcoming Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
Objectives of JAMB Syllabus for Mathematics
The JAMB syllabus Mathematics aims to help candidates prepare for the Board’s examination and to test candidates’ understanding, knowledge, and acquisition of the following areas of the subject. The syllabus enables candidates to:
- Achieve proficiency in manipulative and computational skills.
- Develop proficient ability in logical, precise, and formal reasoning.
- Develop proficient ability in deducing interpretation of data, diagrams, and graphs.
- Utilize the concepts of mathematics to resolve issues in real-life situations.
Topics Under JAMB Mathematics Syllabus
The topics covered by the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics are divided into five sections.
Numbers and Numeration
With Numbers and Numeration, the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics covers the following topics:
- Operations using different number bases from base 2 to base 10;
- Conversion from one base to another (e.g., base 10 to base 2), including fractional components.
Fractions, Decimals, Percentage, and Approximation
- Fractions and decimals
- Decimal places
- Significant figures
- Simple interest.
- Profit and loss percent
- Percentage errors
- Shares and value-added tax (VAT)
- Ratio, proportion, and rate
Indices, Logarithm, and Surds
- The Laws of indices.
- The Laws of logarithms
- Standard forms
- Change of bases in logarithm and application
- The logarithm of any positive number to a given base
- Relationship between indices and logarithm
- Types (forms) of sets
- Algebraic sets
- Venn diagram and its applications.
With Algebra, the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics covers the following topics:
- Change of the subject of a formula
- Factorization of polynomials of less than three (3) degrees
- Factor theory and remainder theory
- Roots of polynomials less than three (3) degrees
- Division and multiplication of polynomials
- Graphs of polynomials of degrees less than three (3)
- Simultaneous equations (including one linear equation together with one quadratic equation)
- Percentage of increase and decrease.
- Graphical and analytic solutions to the problem of linear inequalities
- Quadratic inequalities that have only integral roots
- The meaning of the n-th term of a progression
- The sum of Arithmetic Progression and Geometric Progression.
- Closure, associativity, distributivity, and commutativity properties of binary operations
- Simple cases of inverse and identity elements
Matrices and Determinants
- Algebra of matrices (not more than 3 x 3 matrices)
- Determinants of matrices (not more than 3 x 3 matrices)
- Inverses of various 2 x 2 matrices [excluding equations in quadratic and higher degree forms].
Geometry and Trigonometry
With Geometry and Trigonometry, the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics covers the following topics:
- Line and angle properties
- Polygons (triangles, quadrilaterals, and general polygons)
- Circles (properties of angles, intersecting chords, and cyclic quadrilaterals)
- Lengths and areas of plane geometrical shapes
- Lengths of chords and arcs of a circle
- Calculation of the perimeter and area of sectors and segments of a circle
- Surface areas and volumes of simple solids and composite shapes
- Calculations using the longitude and latitude of the earth
- 2-dimensional loci based on geometry
- Principles associated with lines and curves.
- Midpoint and gradient of the segment of a line
- The distance between two points
- Parallel and perpendicular lines
- Equations of straight lines.
- The trigonometrical ratio of angles
- Angles of elevation and depression
- Trigonometric graphs showing Sine and Cosine
- Sine and cosine formulae
- Areas and solutions of triangles
With Calculus, the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics covers the following topics:
- Limit of a function
- Differentiation of simple trigonometrical functions and explicit algebraic – sine, cosine, and tangent.
Application of Differentiation;
- Rate of change
- Minima and Maxima.
- Integration of simple trigonometrical functions and explicit algebraic
- Calculation of an area under the curve.
With Statistics, the JAMB syllabus for Mathematics covers the following topics:
Representation of Data
- Histogram, bar chart, and pie chart.
- Frequency distribution
Measures of Location
- Simple cases of mean, mode, and median (grouped and ungrouped)
- Cumulative frequency.
Measures of Dispersion
- Mean deviation
- Standard deviation.
Permutation and Combination
- Arrangements involving repeated objects.
- Linear and circular arrangements;
- Experimental probability (throwing dice, tossing a coin, etc.)
- Addition and multiplication of probabilities (independent and mutual cases).
PDF Download of JAMB Syllabus for Mathematics 2022/2023
You can now download the JAMB Mathematics syllabus as you prepare for your exams.
The JAMB syllabus for Mathematics is important as it helps you focus on topics to read as you prepare for forthcoming JAMB exams.
You can be assured that 99% of the questions set during the examinations will be obtained from the syllabus.
Make sure you download the syllabus pdf file on the post. Also, please share this post with your friends to help them pass exceptionally in their exams.
Want Scholarship Abroad?
Get the latest scholarship update straight to your email.
Leave a Comment