It is important to know that the National Identity Number (NIN) is one of the most important documents an individual can possess in their lifetime.
The NIN is the key to accessing all government services, so it is important to know how to register for NIN as soon as possible.
A few simple steps need to be followed to register for the NIN. Firstly, go to the nearest NIN registration centre and collect the registration form. The form must be filled out completely and correctly before submitting it at the centre.
Once the form and documents have been submitted, it will take a few weeks for the National Identity Commission to process the application and issue the NIN.
What is NIN?
A National Identity Number (NIN) is a unique identifier assigned to individuals by a country’s government, used to track citizens and residents for various purposes, such as taxation, voting, and social services.
The NIN is usually used as a means of identification but can also be used by individuals to prove their citizenship.
When a death certificate is given to the Commission, and the individual’s demise is confirmed, the NIN of that person is retired.
The NIN is used to establish or authenticate an individual’s identification and to link all records about that person in the database.
Why Do You Need Your NIN
Your National Identification Number (NIN) is a unique identifier assigned to you by the Nigerian government. It is used for a variety of purposes, including:
- To verify your identity for official transactions.
- To access government services such as a pension, healthcare, and voting.
- To obtain a passport or driver’s license.
- As an identification number for tax purposes.
- Obtaining your National e-ID card.
- Travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- Opening personal bank accounts.
- Transactions with social security connections.
- Land contracts, subject to the Land Use Act.
Having a NIN is mandatory for all Nigerian citizens and residents, and it is important to obtain one to participate in the country’s official processes fully. Every individual should know how to register for NIN.
How to Register for NIN
A person’s demographic information, ten (10) fingerprints, a head-to-shoulder photo, and a digital signature are all needed to register for NIN.
These elements are used to check the National Identity Database’s current data to ensure that the same information has not been entered.
You must apply on the NIMC Pre-Enrolment Portal and adhere to the instructions to register for NIN.
Please be aware that applicants needing help filling out the enrollment form can visit the center. A support officer will help them accurately enter the information and successfully register for NIN.
NIN Registration/ Supplementary Documents
You should bring the following documents and information to any NIMC enrollment center to register for NIN:
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Valid immigration documents
- Driver’s License
- Certificate of Origin
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Old National ID Card
Step-by-Step Process to Register for NIN
Download and print the pre-enrolment slip after completing the online pre-enrolment form.
- Fill up the pre-enrollment form at the NIMC Pre-enrollment Portal.
- The required fields must all be filled out entirely and accurately.
- Print and download your Pre Enrolment Slip.
Submit Your Application
- You can bring any of the abovementioned original and valid supporting documents to the nearest NIMC Registration Center.
- You will be led to a counter at the enrollment centre, where an enrollment officer will check that all of the information on your application is present and in conformity.
- The enrollment officer will direct you to continue with the biometric data collection if your application is in order (ten fingerprints and facial images). The transaction ID slip will be handed to you as proof of the transaction.
To avoid errors, please note the following:
- A literate person who can fill out the application on their behalf should accompany applicants who cannot read or write.
- Parents or legal guardians who can complete the application on their behalf should accompany minor applicants.
- Only an original, current birth certificate and the NIN slip of one of the Nigerian parents or guardians should be shown by minor candidates.
- The National Identification Number (NIN) Slip typically takes 2 to 3 working days to be issued after the biometric information is collected at enrollment centers.
- Due to the verification of information at NIMC, the issue of NIN may take longer in some circumstances. VFS has no obligation to accelerate in such situations.
- The applicant must properly save the Transaction ID Slip since it must be produced while collecting the NIN Slip, which signifies the successful completion of enrollment.
Are you trying to find a place where your National Identification Number (NIN) can be checked? If so, you’ve arrived at the correct place.
The National Identity Database’s (NID) identity verification portal was created to make it easier to confirm the identities of those that register for NIN.
The National Identity Database’s NIN verification portal can be used to retrieve data related to a certain person’s NIN.
How to Verify NIN on Verifyme
- You would need to download their NIN enrollment form as a first step. The form is small, less than a megabyte, and is available for immediate download.
- Take the completed form to any NIN enrollment centers nearby after printing it.
- They have significant branches in Lagos, Edo, and other Nigerian states.
- We have a list of centers below you may look at if you need help locating one close to you.
- You will have your biometrics taken once you arrive.
- Depending on the traffic, you might get your NIN ready immediately or be told to return on a certain day.
How to Retrieve NIN
The National Identity Management Commission has released a helpful USSD code that allows you to check or get your NIN (National Identification Number). The most recent disclosure is in a tweet that the NIMC verified.
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has asked the public and citizens who are already enrolled in the NIMC system but have forgotten their NIN Number to dial *346# to retrieve the NIN.
For NIN retrieval, the USSD code is accessible on MTN, AIRTEL, GLO, and 9MOBILE lines. When you do that, a cost of NGN 20 will be applied, and your NIN will appear on the screen. The most recent disclosure is in a tweet that the NIMC verified.
How to Retrieve NIN Without a Phone Number
What will you do if you lose the SIM you used to register for NIN and cannot access the NIN slip provided to you once your registration is successful?
Find the nearby NIN enrollment center. It’s advisable to go to the location where you registered.
Take the phone number you misplaced along with you. Before they may successfully retrieve your NIN, you might also be required to provide your fingerprints again at the center.
This service will cost you NGN 500; you can pay for it via Remita and bring the payment receipt to the NIN Enrolment Center.
Alternatively, if you have a solid internet connection and have already registered the NIMC application on your Android or iOS device, you can retrieve your NIN number using the app without going to the nearby NIMC Enrolment Center.
NIMC Enrollment Centres for NIN
- Akwa Ibom
- Cross River
- FCT Abuja
NIN Enrollment Centers for Nigerians in Diaspora
National Identification Number is crucial whether you’re a citizen or have legal residency in Nigeria.
You should be aware of how to register for NIN. Following the above-described processes, you can quickly finish your pre-enrolment and enrollment to get your NIN.
Want Scholarship Abroad?
Get the latest scholarship update straight to your email.
Leave a Comment