Regarding messaging apps, exploring different options must have led you to GroupMe, which offers a unique and convenient way to stay in touch with family and friends.
How to delete GroupMe chats has been a question of concern to people since the app was launched in 2010.
For example, is there an easy way to get rid of messages or chats? And many more frequently asked questions.
Read through this article to know how to delete GroupMe chats and get the answers you seek.
What Is GroupMe Chat
GroupMe is a group chat app that also provides direct messaging between individuals.
Because of this, group members can split into smaller groups once they have each other’s contact information.
Users sign up using their Facebook credentials, Microsoft/Skype credentials, phone numbers, or email addresses and can then send private or group messages to other users.
GroupMe messages work across platforms; all you need is a device, either an iPhone, Android, computer, or tablet, and Wi-Fi or mobile data to connect.
One of the reasons people love using GroupMe is its ease of use for both iPhone and Android users.
Plus, there are some fun features you won’t find anywhere else, including GIF, image, and video libraries.
In addition, it has unique emoticons that you can use while chatting, and you can even create memes in the app.
About GroupMe App
GroupMe app is one of the best ways to chat with people you know. It’s free, whether you are talking to a group of friends or texting someone.
It works on almost any phone, via push or SMS. With GroupMe, it’s easy to reach anyone, anytime, anywhere.
You can say it is a personal chat room for a small group. You can have as many chat rooms as possible, and it’s free.
Now you can coordinate with coworkers, host a game night, and stay in touch with family in one place.
GroupMe is a mobile group messaging application owned by Microsoft. It was launched in May 2010 by the private company GroupMe.
By August 2011, GroupMe delivered over 100 million messages each month, and by June 2012, that number had jumped to 550 million.
GroupMe chat app was created at TechCrunch Disrupt 2010 and was founded by Jared Hecht and Steve Martocci.
In August 2011, Skype bought the year-old startup for about $80 million. Microsoft purchased Skype in May 2011, which was completed in October 2011. The application underwent a redesign in late 2012.
Initially, groups were limited to 100 members, but a support request could increase the group limit as high as necessary as the limit was approached.
In 2019, GroupMe stopped offering group member limit increases but increased the standard limit from 100 to 5000.
How to Delete GroupMe Chats
Clearing your GroupMe chat can be one way to get rid of unwanted conversations. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Open the GroupMe app on your device.
- Find the chat history you want to delete and tap or click to open it.
- Select the chat image and select “Settings” from the menu.
- In the “Settings” menu, tap or click “Clear chat history.”
- A confirmation window will appear. Click “Delete” to confirm your choice, and your chat history will be deleted.
Note: The “Settings” button may be located in a different area than the one shown above, depending on your device.
How to Hide a GroupMe Chat
Hiding chat is done differently depending on the device. For some users, hiding chats is better for them than completely deleting the chats for reference purposes.
Find the device you own below and follow the instructions.
- Find the chat you want to hide.
- Select a chat avatar.
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Hide Chat” from that menu.
- Now you will no longer see the chat on your computer.
If You Want to View That Chat That You Have Hidden, Follow the Steps Below;
- Open GroupMe chat app.
- Click on the “Open Navigation” menu.
- Select “Archive,” and you will see a list of hidden chats.
- Select the chat you want to view.
- Select a chat image.
- Click on the “Settings” icon and select “Uncover Chat.”
- For Andriod users, download the GroupMe app on your phone.
- Scroll till you find the chat you want to hide.
- Tap and hold.
- At the top, you will see a “Hide Chat” icon.
- Tap on it, and your chat will now be archived.
- Download the GroupMe app
- Find the chat you wish to hide.
- Swipe towards the left direction on the chat you want to hide
- Select the “Hide” icon.
- You will no longer see this chat in your chat list.
To View the Chat, Follow These Steps:
- First, select the “Open Navigation” menu.
- Select “Archive.”
- Find the chat you want to view under the “Hidden Chats” tab.
- Tap “Reveal” next to it.
Note: Depending on the iOS version you are using, you may not see the “Open Navigation” menu. In this case, select “Chat” at the top.
How to Delete Messages in GroupMe
You cannot delete messages from GroupMe chats. They can only be hidden on your device. To do this, follow the instructions listed below.
- When you open the chat, find the message you want to hide.
- On your computer, right-click the message on a mobile device, tap, and hold.
- Select “Hide/Hide Message” from the menu.
If you want to see hidden messages again, follow these steps:
- Open the chat and tap or click on the chat avatar.
- Click or tap on “Settings.”
- Select the “Uncover hidden messages” option.
Note that you can also unhide messages if you log out and log back into your account.
How to Permanently Delete GroupMe Chats
As mentioned, you cannot delete a GroupMe chat.
You can decide to end the chats. This will not only delete all messages but also delete the entire group. If you decide this is what you want, follow the instructions below.
- Start GroupMe on your device.
- Select the group chat you want to leave.
- Click on the chat image.
- Select “Settings.”
- At the bottom, you will find options to “End Group” and “Leave Group.” Select one of the options and confirm.
If you leave the group, you can come back. However, this action cannot be undone once a group is terminated.
Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about GroupMe, see the FAQ section below.
Does Deleting Chat History on GroupMe Clear Everyone?
It isn’t. If you delete your GroupMe chat history, you only delete it from your device. Other participants will still be able to view messages within the chat.
What Devices Can I Access GroupMe On?
GroupMe is available for Windows computers, Android smartphones, tablets, iOS devices, iPhones, and iPad.
You can also access your chat through web browsers, but not all options will be available this way.
For example, you can’t hide GroupMe chats if you’ve opened the app on the web.
Can I Delete Chat History for Both Group and Individual Chats?
Yes. You can clear your chat history on your device, whether it’s a one-on-one conversation or a group chat.
Hopefully, this article on how to delete GroupMe chats was helpful and has been explained step by step.
Please do not forget to share this post with others and also share your experience in the comment section below.
Want Scholarship Abroad?
Get the latest scholarship update straight to your email.
Leave a Comment