Dropbox is a known cloud-based storage platform that allows you to store (and access) files from anywhere.
There are a bunch of reasons you might want to delete a folder from your Dropbox account, including the desire to free up space or to organize and clean up digital clutter.
If you’ve been using Dropbox for a while and have uploaded a lot of files, or if your Dropbox account is running out of storage space, delete the most unnecessary files to free up space.
You’ve found the right piece if you’re looking for instructions on how to delete folder in Dropbox.
We’ll walk you through a step-by-step process on how to delete your Dropbox folder on a PC, iPhone, and Android.
How to Delete Folder in Dropbox
How to Delete a Folder in Dropbox Using a Computer
You can permanently remove any folder from your Dropbox account.
If you are out of storage space or have finished using a folder, freeing up space is a good idea. As long as you are the owner, you are able to delete every Dropbox folder.
To delete a typical folder from your Dropbox account on a PC using the dropbox website, adhere to these steps:
- Go to your dropbox account and log in.
- From the left-sidebar menu, select “All Files.”
- Click the ellipsis while your cursor is over the folder you want to delete.
- Choose “Delete.”
- If you’re certain, you’ll be prompted. To confirm, click “Delete” once more.
The folders deleted using the aforementioned procedures will be placed in your Dropbox trash can.
By following the steps below, you can permanently delete every folder you own:
- Enter your Dropbox login information.
- To delete a folder, adhere to the directions above.
- From the left sidebar, select the “Deleted files” section.
- To delete a folder, check the box next to it.
- Go to the “Permanently Delete” menu.
- To confirm your action, select “Permanently Delete” once more.
You can permanently delete any folder you own without being able to restore it.
The only exception to this rule is if you are the admin of a Dropbox Business team account and the only person who has taken action on a folder who is not an admin.
Dropbox Business team users may be unable to delete folders permanently in some cases if the admin has restricted their privileges.
Furthermore, permanently deleting files from the “Deleted files” section has no effect on the storage quota.
You can delete a local folder from your computer in addition to deleting a Dropbox folder using the web app.
This will also delete the folder from your online Dropbox account. So, if you use a desktop Dropbox app on your PC, proceed as follows:
- On your PC, navigate to your Dropbox folder.
- Right-click on the folder you want to delete and select Delete.
- Choose “Delete” for Windows or “Move to Trash” for Mac.
- Alternatively, you can delete any Dropbox folder by dragging it into the trash bin on both Windows and Mac computers.
How to Remove Shared Folders on Dropbox on a PC
You can have shared folders removed either temporarily or permanently. Follow the steps below to permanently delete a shared folder:
- Go to dropbox.com and sign in.
- From the left-hand sidebar, select “All Files.”
- Go over to the folder you would like to delete and press the ellipsis button.
- Choose “Delete.”
To remove a shared folder temporarily, follow the steps below:
- Access your Dropbox account.
- From the left-hand sidebar, select “All Files.”
- Hover over the folder and click the person-shaped share icon.
- Look for “[x] people have access,” select.
- Locate your name and choose the dropdown next to it.
- Choose “Remove my access.”
- Take care not to unintentionally delete Dropbox folders. If you do this, the owner will have to re-invite you to that folder.
When attempting to delete a folder, it is possible that you will not see the shared folder options.
If this occurs, disable any browser extensions or add-ons that are currently active. Following that, remove the shared folder and re-enable the extensions.
You can also continue to use the extensions while making Dropbox an exception. Please keep in mind that some extensions do not support this functionality.
How to Delete a Folder in Dropbox on iPhone
The Dropbox app for iPhone is feature-rich. You don’t need to use the desktop version to remove files or folders; you can do it all from your phone.
To remove a folder from Dropbox on the iPhone app, follow the instructions below:
- On your iPhone, open the Dropbox app.
- You can see a list of all your folders and files.
- Tap the ellipsis next to the folder name you want to delete.
- Select “Folder Settings.”
- Choose “Delete Folder.”
This will remove the folder from your iPhone, the Dropbox website, and all devices associated with that Dropbox account.
When you delete a folder, its contents are saved in the “Deleted files” section. It will, however, have no effect on your storage space. To permanently delete a folder, navigate to the “Deleted files” section and delete the folder there.
How to Delete Shared Folder on the iPhone Dropbox App
Follow the steps below to remove a shared folder from your Dropbox account using an iPhone:
- Log in to the Dropbox app on your iPhone.
- Displays a list of all the files and folders on your account.
- Tap the ellipsis next to the shared folder name you want to delete.
- From the bottom of the menu, select “Shared Folder Settings.”
- “Remove from My Dropbox” will appear.
- To confirm, select “Remove from My Dropbox” once more.
That shared folder will no longer be visible in your Dropbox. You can re-add it by following the instructions Dropbox provides when you remove the folder.
How to Delete a Folder in Dropbox on Android
Android users can delete folders from their local memory or their Dropbox account.
Clearing your cache folder is required to delete a folder from your Android phone’s local memory. When you open a file from your Dropbox account, it is saved in your phone’s cache memory. You can delete these files by following these steps:
Launch the Dropbox app and tap the “Menu” button on the left side of the screen. It’s a three-line horizontal icon.
Go to “Settings” and select “Clear Cache.”
Follow the steps below to delete a folder from your Dropbox account:
- Launch the Dropbox app on your Android device and navigate to the folder you wish to delete.
- Tap the blue arrow next to the folder to open it.
- Select “Delete” to remove the file from your Dropbox account, phone, and all connected devices.
How to Delete Shared Folder on the Dropbox Android App
When you delete a folder from Dropbox, it is added to the “Deleted files” section. To remove a folder permanently, open the section and remove the folder from there.
Users of the Android app can also delete a shared folder. To delete a folder that someone else shared with you, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Dropbox account.
- Bring up the shared folder you want to delete and select it.
- Select “Shared folder settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the gray “Remove from my Dropbox” button.
- To confirm, select “Remove from my Dropbox.”
If you want to delete a shared folder, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Dropbox account.
- Locate the folder to be deleted and select “Shared folder settings.”
- Tap the “Unshare” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Confirm your decision.
- You can now delete the folder from Dropbox by following the steps outlined earlier in this section.
The Advantages of Deleting Files From Your Dropbox Account
When you delete files from your Dropbox account, you will:
- Make room in your account for more important files right away.
- Organize your files and folders.
- Reduce the number of files that are no longer required.
- You will save time by not having to search through so many files and folders.
- Avoid having to upgrade to a more expensive plan in order to get more storage space.
- Depending on your Dropbox plan, you may be able to recover deleted files within a certain time frame.
The Disadvantages of Deleting Files From Your Dropbox Account
When you delete files from your Dropbox account, you are doing the following:
- You cannot recover deleted files after the recovery period has expired.
- If you choose to permanently delete files, they cannot be recovered.
- Because Dropbox limits the number of files you can delete at one time, you may be unable to delete as many files as you want all at once.
- You cannot permanently delete content from a shared folder unless it is added and immediately deleted.
- To free up space, files must be deleted permanently.
Note: If you have a free Basic or Plus account, you can recover deleted files for up to 30 days after they were deleted. The recovery time frame is extended to 120 days if you have a Business account. You have up to 180 days if you have a Professional account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions on how to delete folders in dropbox.
How Do I Delete a Dropbox Folder That Is Not on My Computer?
Dropbox does not allow you to delete folders from your Dropbox account while keeping them on your local computer.
The two folders automatically synchronize, and removing files from a Dropbox account will also remove them from local computer storage. There is, however, a workaround.
Simply move a file from the local Dropbox folder to another folder on your computer to keep it after you delete it online.
You can save it to My Documents, Desktop, or wherever you want. After that, you can delete the folder from your Dropbox account without losing any of the files on your computer.
Organizing Your Dropbox Account
When it comes to managing folders, Dropbox gives users a lot of options. Whether you use a PC or a smartphone to access the app, you can delete both regular and shared folders temporarily or permanently.
Remember that you can only remove folders from your Dropbox account if you own them.
Business Dropbox team account holders and the only person active in a folder are the only exceptions.
This article has detailed instructions for removing a Dropbox folder from your account across devices.
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section below.