This article is designed to help students who wish to study Pharmaceutical Technology (Pham Tech) in the Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Pharmaceutical Technology came into existence after a successful resource accreditation by NBTE in 2014. It is housed in the School of Industrial and Applied Sciences. The programme started with about 240 students in ND1. The Department was headed by Dr. (Mrs.) Unegbu C.C and the current HOD now is Dr. T.I. Mbata. The Department has recently graduated her third set in National Diploma (ND); 2014/2015 set, 2015/2016 set and currently 2016/2017 set. The department was given interim accreditation to start up HND programe which has commenced with her first set 2017/2018 academic session.
To train competent and efficient middle level manpower for the pharmaceutical and allied industries in particular and commerce in general.
Dr. Theodore Ikechukwu Mbata is currently working as Chief Lecturer at Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri, Nigeria. He has Ph.D. in Food and Industrial Microbiology, M.Phil, Food Microbiology, M.PHM, Health Planning and Management and M.Sc, Pharmaceutical Microbiology from University of Benin, Benin City, and B.Sc. Microbiology from University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria. In addition, he has postgraduate certificates in Food Technology, Food Safety in Times of Global Change and Vegetables Production in Protected Environment from Hebrew University and Agriculture Research Institute, all in Isreal. Previously, appointed as Assistant Lecturer, and Lecturer II at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Nigeria. His main area of research interest focuses on Public Health Nutrition/ Health Planning and Management, Postharvest Disease Control of fruit vegetables, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, and Fermentation Technology. His current Research is on Hematological and protein quality of albino rats fed complementary food with fermented maize grains (Zea mays) fortified with Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranean) He is professional member of Royal Society of Biology, (RSB), U.K, International Research and Development Institute, Institute of Entrepreneur (IOE), Nigeria, and the American Society for Microbiology, and Nutrition Society of Nigeria. He is member of editorial board in African Journal of Food Sciences, African Journal Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, Kenya. He has published 4 books, 57 research articles in peer review journals, and 39 conferences proceeding contributed.
Candidates seeking admission into the two year National Diploma Pharmaceutical Technology Programme of Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri are required to have five credit level passes in GCE ‘0’ LEVEL, Senior Secondary School Certificate Exams (SSCE). National Exam Council (NECO) and National Board on Technical and Business Education. (NABTE) in Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at not more than two sittings. They should have also with the UTME Examination condition in addition to the minimum polytechnic entry requirements.
- ND (REGULAR)
- HND (REGULAR)
KEY OFFICERS AND THEIR RESPONSIBILITY
MR. NNOROM FRIDAY COURSE ADVISER ND II
- Advice students on the importance of improving their academic performance.
- Encourage them for more effort when they are discouraged with their poor academic performance.
- Advice them to be a good Ambassador of the department and the polytechnic at large.
- To obey the rules and regulations of the school.
- To maintain the ethics of pharmaceutical technology as a Profession.
- To shun cultism and indecent dressing
- To respect their lecturers and other staff of the school.
MRS EKEOMA AKUJUOBI – AMADI COURSE ADVISER HND II
- Compilation of HND II students result
- Advising the students based on academic performance
- In-charge of seminar/project defense.
MR. NNAOMA IKENNA E.
- Lecturing and supervising the teaching of a number of courses
- Acting as an examiner for subjects taught
- Supervision of students projects and carrying out project work research
- Assisting with grooming of junior staff in the dept.
- Performing other related duties assigned by the HOD
- Departmental Exam Officer
- Departmental Time Table Representative
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT STATEMENT AND PROFILE
Name: Dr. Theodore Ikechukwu Mbata
Current rank: Chief Lecturer
Phone number 08032618922
DEPARTMENTAL EXCOS 2018/2019
- COMRADE IBEKE NDUBUISI DANIEL PRESIDENT
- COMRADE AKAEHILEM HAPPINESS C. VICE PRESIDENT
- COMRADE ACHUGWOARIRI LUCKY C. SECRETARY GENERAL
- COMRADE EMEDO SAMPSON DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
- COMRADE OWEREOMA JUSTICE C. DIRECTOR OF SOCIALS
- COMRADE UCHE MARTINS DIRECTOR OF ETHICS & RESEARCH
- COMRADE OBI ANTHONY ASSISTANT SEC. GENERAL
- COMRADE EZE EMMANUEL DIRECTOR OF WELFARE
- COMRADE UGWU ANDREW TREASURER
- COMRADE AGBAKA PANTHELEDN DIRECTOR OF SPORTS
- COMRADENZUBECHI VICTOR DIRECTOR OF PUBLICITY
- COMRADECHIJIOKE EMMANUEL PROVOST