Before you study in Canada, there are certain requirements you need to provide and also steps you need to undertake.
This article aims at highlighting the necessary method by which you can apply for your visa to study in Canada.
Meanwhile, a Canadian student visa is the necessary study permit or document required for international students that desire to enroll in any study program in Canada, and that need to be in a designated learning institution (DLI). Having said this, how do you apply for a Canada student visa?
How to Apply for the Canadian Student Visa
Once you’ve been given an acceptance letter from the university, you can then proceed to the next step, which is an application for a study permit or student visa, through the following steps;
- Application for the visa should be online via Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website before your journey to Canada.
- In case you face a challenge with your internet connection or you have issues submitting the documents online, you can forward the application documents by post.
- Get an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (it ought to be a university recognized by the Canadian government).
- Provide enough proof that you’re financially buoyant to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses). In other words, you must have up to 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year for living in the country.
- Submit a proof showing that are clean (you have no criminal record).
- Provide health records showing you are in good health; submit complete medical examinations if required.
- Provide a proof showing you paid the study permit fee (150 CAD).
- If you come from an English speaking country, Canadian universities will require you to submit proof of English language proficiency.
How Long Does It Take For the Canadian Study Visa to Be Processed?
Once your application for a Canadian study permit or visa is sent and is successful, it may take up to 90 days, but it’s usually faster than that. However, how quickly it arrives also depends on the situation in your home country. Nevertheless, to get it done faster, you can use the Student Direct Stream.
But fees apply starting from 150 CAD, and the processing time is usually around 20 days. Although, the Student Direct Stream is only available if you are a student from the following countries; China, India, Philippines, Senegal, Vietnam, Pakistan, or Morocco.
What is the Expiration Date of the Canadian Study Visa?
Meanwhile, the Canada study visa expires 90 days after your studies are finished (after you receive a notification for the program completion). However, you can still remain in Canada to travel and explore, or you can apply for a work permit, which allows you to take a full-time or part-time job or even be self-employed.
Note: Current visa rules have stated that if any of your family members are working or applying for a work permit in Canada, it will make your study permit application to be processed in just two weeks. Then, you are free to renew or extend it (study visa) if:
- you wish to continue your studies
- your programme has an extension
- you change your university
For more updated information about the Canadian student visa, you can visit the official student visa page of the Canadian government. You can also get to check out if your home country is eligible for the biometrics requests for the Canadian study visa application.