The Brookings Institution invites applications from scholars around the world for Echidna Global Scholars Program 2023 – an opportunity to pursue a fully funded research project of four to six months at Brookings in USA. The Brookings Institute Echidna Global Scholars Program is a visiting fellowship hosted by the Center for Universal Education (CUE) at the Brookings Institution.
The structure of the Program is divided into two main components to assist the scholars in having impact when returning to their home countries: research on global education issues, and leadership training. The program aims to build the research and analytical skills of NGO leaders and academics who have substantial experience and ties to developing countries.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Brookings Institution, USA.
Scholarship Type: Full Funding
Host Institution(s): Brookings Institution, USA.
Scholarship Worth: Full funding + living stipend of USD $5,000.
Number of Awards: Not stated.
Study level: Postgraduate
Nationality: Non-USA applicants
Qualifications and Requirements
- The Program selects professionals with substantial experience in and ties to the Global South, and a clear intent to return to the Global South after completing the period of residency at Brookings.
- Applicants must have a passion and demonstrated commitment to improving learning opportunities and life outcomes for girls, young women, and gender non-conforming people in and through education.
- Applicants should have a background in education, development, economics, or a related area, with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in either research/academia; non-government and civil society; government; or business.
- Education: Master’s degree required; Ph.D. or research background strongly preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills Requirements: Strong analytical and writing skills. Successful applicants will have an intimate understanding of education development issues and gender.
Echidna Global Scholars Program 2023 | Benefits
Applicants selected for the fellowship will receive;
- A stipend totaling $22,500 USD to support living costs during the pre-residency and residency periods (subject to U.S. tax withholding and reporting).
- In addition, CUE will cover the costs associated with the visa process, single-occupancy housing for the three-and-a-half-month residency period, round-trip travel expenses, and a limited health insurance plan.
Please note that this position is a short-term full-time resident fellowship at Brookings (it is not an employee position).
How-to-Apply: Interested candidates should proceed to apply online and submit cover letter and CV or resume as one document when you apply. Ensure that you upload the following initial application materials;
- A cover letter that explains how the program will impact your life and the lives of your community, and your goals and intent for the program, along with your CV or resume, which should include your education and professional experience, as well as a list of your publications, and any fellowships, honors, awards, funded research, or foundation support that you have received. Please submit cover letter and CV or resume as one document when you apply, as instructed.
- The completed Echidna Global Scholars Program Application. (Click on hyperlink to access document and upload in the “Writing sample” section).
- Documents must be saved with a format of Last Name, First Name, and document name (for example: Doe_Jane_CV).
- Letters of recommendation, writing samples, and transcripts are NOT required. Please upload Questionnaire and Research Project Proposal in the Writing Sample section.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023.