Good pickup lines are romantically humorous. With the right delivery, they could determine if you’d go home with a phone number or get mentally blacklisted by your love interest.
Do Pickup Lines Work?
If you think your favorite pickup line is cheesy and wouldn’t impress, hold on because science might have something else to say.
According to Scientific research:
“Pickup” lines based on humor tend to fall flat—but they do get the speakers rated as relatively funny and sociable, and aren’t disfavored by women seeking brief liaisons, a new study suggests.
Corwin Senko and Viviana Fyffe of the State University of New York–New Paltz conducted the research to assess why women respond differently to different types of “pickup” lines and to help answer that question so common from young women: why do men use dumb pickup lines?
“Flippant pick-up lines, so often used by men to impress women, often backfire,” the researchers noted, detailing their findings in the November-December issue of the Journal of Social Psychology.
The study focused on remarks men make to try to initiate contact with women, rather than those used by women on men, as women are “more often the recipients of pick-up lines,” and “are often more discriminating” in mate choice, the researchers wrote.
In a survey, they asked 70 female university students how favorably they would respond to various approach lines from men under different circumstances.
Previous research had shown this type of survey to yield results that line up well with women’s real-life reactions to pickup attempts in bars, Senko and Fyffe said.
This past research had already indicated that “flippant” pickup lines work poorly. But it hadn’t fully explained why, and had also suffered some methodological flaws fixed in the new research, Senko and Fyffe claimed.
The pair studied the effects of “flippant” lines such as “can I get a picture of you so I can show Santa what I want for Christmas?” Women rated men who used such opening gambits, as opposed to other types, as relatively high on humorousness and sociability, but low on trustworthiness and intelligence.
“Women rate the latter qualities more essential than the former ones in a long-term mate,” the researchers wrote.
Humor might not ordinarily signal low intelligence, they added, but the type of canned humor usually found in pickup lines could.
In this article, we’ll be looking at some of the most interesting biology pick-up lines on Reddit for you to try on your crush or love interest.
15 Biology Pickup Lines On Reddit
- If I were an enzyme, I’d be DNA helicase so I could unzip your genes.
- You’re so hot, you denature my proteins.
- Can I be the phasor to your electron and take you to an excited state?
- You must be gibberellin because I’m experiencing some stem elongation.
- You make my anoxic sediments want to increase their redox potential.
- Hey baby, will a little more alcohol catalyze this reaction?
- I will fondle your vesicles while you caress my Golgi body.
- I want to work on your leucine zipper with my zinc fingers.
- We fit together like the sticky ends of recombinant DNA.
- You are the photon to my photosystem: you excite my electron until I reach my reaction center.
- You’re hotter than a Bunsen burner set to full power.
- If I were a neurotransmitter, I would be dopamine so I could activate your reward pathway.
- Hey, wanna put your alpha helix in my beta barrel?
- Hey baby, why don’t you get your ligase working on my Okazaki fragment and lengthen my strand?
- Hey, are you an alpha carbon, because you look susceptible to a backside attack!
- Do you want to extract some protein from my column?
- According to the second law of thermodynamics, you’re supposed to share your hotness with me.
- Everyone knows it’s not the size of the vector that matters, but the way the force is delivered.
- How about me and you go back to my place and form a covalent bond? If I was an endoplasmic reticulum, how would you want me: smooth or rough?
- We can make a mess as I’ve hired some lysosomes to clean up after. My hypothalamus must be secreting serotonin because baby, I want you!
- I wish I was an ion so I could form an exothermic bond with you.
- You’re so cute you make my zygomaticus muscles contract.
- I wish I were adenine because then I could get paired with U. You’re like telophase, I admire your cleavage.
- Hey baby, want to form a synapse with me and exchange neurotransmitters?
- Hey baby, want to form a zygote?
- It’s a good thing you’ve got evaporative cooling, cause I’m going to make you sweat!
- If I were a Schwann cell, I’d squeeze around your axon and give you a fast action potential.
- Want to be my substrate/enzyme?
- If my right leg is the cell wall and my left the membrane, do you want to be the cytoplasm?
- If you were a concentration gradient I’d go down on you.
- If you were C6 and I were H12, all we would need is the air we breathe to be sweeter than sugar.
- Whenever I am near you, I undergo anaerobic respiration because you take my breath away!
- I want to stick to you like glucose.
- You must be the one for me since my selectively permeable membrane let you through.
- Can I be your enzyme because my active site is dying from a chemical reaction!
- You give me more jolt than mitochondria!
- Right now we’re just two RNA, but maybe we could transcribe together and become DNA.
- I have a smooth endoplasmic reticulum but know that I like it rough if you know what I mean.
- I also prefer my ribosomes bound…..tight.
- Spin me round with your basal body and make sure it’s turgid! Do you like aerobic respiration as much as I do?
- You’re like an electron and I’m like a proton, we were made to be attracted to each other!
- Let’s get our haploids together and make a diploid.
- My hydrophilic head needs some moisture, will you oblige?
- If you and I were electrons, I’d totally reverse my spin so I could be in your orbital.
How often should you use pickup lines?
Pickup lines should be used contextually and with discretion. The aim should be to intrigue the recipient and evoke a favorable response, so you’d want to read the room before delivering your lines.
Pickup lines should serve as a precursor to actual conversations. It is not enough to deliver a fantastic pickup line, great communication skills are how you seal the deal.
I hope this post was helpful. Did you enjoy it? Don’t forget to share and leave a comment. Share with us some of your favorite pickup lines, we’d love to read them.