AU-YVC, a program inaugurated in 2010, is a flagship initiative within the African Union’s myriad youth-focused programs.
This highly prestigious program is dedicated to identifying, educating, and deploying young, qualified professionals from all 55 African Union Member States.
These professionals volunteer their skills and expertise for a full-year tenure in various operational roles across the continent.
The Objectives Behind AU-YVC
The overarching goal of the AU-YVC is empowering the youth as key enablers in fulfilling Africa’s development aims and ambitions.
By enhancing the role of young individuals in policy formulation, development programs, and social initiatives, AU-YVC contributes significantly to actualizing the African Union’s Agenda 2023, colloquially known as ‘Africa We Want.’
The program fosters continental unity, economic prosperity, and sustainable peace by galvanizing diverse skills, knowledge, and creative ideas through a communal platform.
These ambitions are congruent with the resolution in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) of January 2010, wherein the African Union Heads of States and Governments articulated the necessity for continental volunteer initiatives to energize youth engagement and expedite Africa’s socioeconomic development.
Who Can Apply? Eligibility Criteria
Those wishing to participate must satisfy the following eligibility conditions:
- Nationality: Must be a citizen of an AU Member State, residing within Africa or the Diaspora.
- Age Limit: Between 18 and 35 years of age (must still be under 35 after the 12-month service).
- Educational Requirements: Hold at least a post-secondary certified qualification, ranging from Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) to Master’s degrees.
- Availability: Must be prepared to devote an entire year (aca_year]) to professional volunteer service.
- Mobility: Willingness to live and work in another AU Member State.
- Language Proficiency: Mastery in at least one of the AU’s working languages.
- Experience: At least one year each in verifiable volunteering and professional work.
Required Skills and Core Competencies
Applicants must possess:
- Computer Proficiency: Skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Communication Skills: Both oral and written.
- Interpersonal Competence: Ability to operate efficiently in a multi-cultural setup.
- Moral Integrity: Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
Entitlements and Benefits for Volunteers
Volunteers are accorded several benefits, including:
- Exposure to the highest levels of continental policy formulation.
- Networking Opportunities with other young leaders.
- Financial Support: A monthly stipend, economy return tickets, and health insurance.Training and Mentorship opportunities.
How to Apply: Application Process and Deadlines
The application window remains open until 19th September 2023, 11:59 p.m. EAT. Interested candidates should proceed to apply online at the African Union Job Portal.
- Updated professional CV (maximum three pages)
- National ID or Passport bio page
- Certificate of highest qualification
- Letter of recommendation
- Cover letter addressing key questions
Please note: Only complete and present submissions will be entertained. The application process is stringent, and submitting incorrect or incomplete information will result in immediate disqualification.
Disclaimer: The African Union does not charge or request facilitation fees at any stage of the application process.
This monumental program is not just a career opportunity but a call to become a part of Africa’s promising future.
If you meet the criteria and are interested in contributing to Africa’s development through volunteerism, this is the perfect chance to make your mark.
I hope this article was helpful. Do well to share with your friends.