The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has issued a bulletin to its members to update them on the latest development in their negotiations with the Federal Government as it clocks 4 months since the union went on strike.
. The following is a summary of the most important updates:
- Our roll-over strike is 16 weeks old now.
- As the struggle continues, members are commended for their commitment and steadfastness in the patriotic struggle for the survival of the University system in our country.
- Members are particularly applauded for keeping faith with the Union in spite of the hardship imposed on our families as a result of the stoppage of salaries. You have made the statement loud and clear that we are not beggars and, as a result, hunger is an impotent instrument to break our resolve.
- Our iron-cast resolve has forced the government to sit down and negotiate with us. We have had five meetings with the Federal Government Team and two meetings with the Minister of Education.
- The renegotiation of the 2009 agreement of ASUU-FGN agreement is progressing smoothly and has reached an advanced stage. However, we must remain focused to the end of this struggle.
- UTAS has been tested for the 3rd time. So far, NITDA has tested UTAS and UPS and will start testing IPPIS next week. We are undeterred by the antic of some government officials in this respect.
- It is clear that hunger, misinformation, distortion of facts, intimidation, and other sundry acts of arm-twisting have failed to break our resolve to date; they should not break us now.
- Ignore fake news and divisive information emanating from social media and a section of the press. If in doubt over any issue, contact your Chairperson for correct information.
- We are at the threshold of victory. Let us keep faith with the Union. A people united can never be defeated.
Stay tuned for more update on ASUU Strike on realmina