The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), a prominent, non-profit organisation committed to economic policy training and research for Africans, has announced that it is open to receiving applications for its PhD Scholarship programme.
This is a premium opportunity for passionate individuals from sub-Saharan African countries to partake in activities that ensure sustainable development within the continent.
AERC was founded in 1988 and has since played a pivotal role in reducing the skills gap between finance professionals and economists in Anglophone and Francophone African countries.
The PhD Scholarship programme is held in the best Universities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The AERC’s vision is undergirded by a strong belief in the ability of sub-Saharan to attain sustainable development through local economic and high-quality activities.
Their strategy rests on the two approaches of Research and Graduate Training.
Affiliated Universities Offering the PhD Programme
The following universities are partners of the AERC Collaborative PhD Programme (CPP) in Economics:
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Benin, Nigeria
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Félix Houphouet-Boigny University, Côte d’Ivoire
Eligibility Criteria of AERC Scholarship Programme
Candidates must possess the following criteria to be eligible for this esteemed scholarship:
- A 2’1 or equivalent in Economics, Agricultural Economics or a related field from an accredited institution.
- A Master’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, or a related area, complete with both coursework and thesis components, from a recognised institution.
- Candidates with at least one peer-reviewed journal publication possess a distinct advantage.
- Candidates should have proven engagement in public sector economic research, management, or training, which will further strengthen the application.
- Preference is given to women and candidates from conflict-torn countries.
Alumni of the programme from the 2017 and 2018 sets are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to candidates’ choice universities (among CCP-listed universities). The procedures for application can be obtained from the websites of individual schools.
After receiving their admission letters, candidates should upload the following documents on the AERC scholarship portal:
- Evidence of Admission
- Curriculum Vitae
- Application Cover Letter
- Certified Transcripts
The final date for submission of applications is 31st August 2023.
The AERC PhD Scholarship is an opportunity that helps train and position committed Africans who can engage in sustainable developmental activities.
Ensure you apply for this programme, especially if you are a young economist. Share this article with your friends and loved ones.