The Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) is now taking applications for its 2023 Visiting Fellowship at the University of Oxford from excellent African academics from diverse academic areas. The application date for the Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) Visiting Fellowship is October 21, 2023
The AfOx Visiting Fellowship is designed to provide exceptional African researchers working in any academic discipline with the chance to create international networks and focus on a project of their choice while relieving them of teaching and administrative duties at their home institutions.
The AfOx Fellowship allows fellows to engage on a project of their choice in conjunction with Oxford-based researchers while also taking advantage of the facilities available at Oxford University for research, writing, and developing research leadership skills.
The Fellowship is open to researchers from all disciplines. Fellows will be connected with the University of Oxford for a period of 12 months, which will include 10 months of virtual participation and a two-month in-person visit to Oxford during Trinity Term.
Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) Visiting Fellowship Eligibility
- Open to researchers across all academic fields.
- You are eligible to apply if you are a national of any African country or have indefinite leave to remain in any African country. You must also have a position in an African university/research institution domiciled in an African country and are a legal resident in the host country of your institution.
- Visiting Fellows must be of postdoctoral or equivalent status at the time of application. Applicants must be holding an appointment in an African academic or research institution at the time of application.
- You cannot apply for a Fellowship if you have an existing affiliation at the University of Oxford.
- The application should be completed by the prospective visiting fellow. Applications will not be considered until a statement from the Oxford academic host/collaborator has been received.
Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) Visiting Fellowship Benefits
- During the 10 months of virtual engagement, fellows will have remote access to resources available at Oxford University, including library access and support to strengthen research leadership skills.
- During the in-person fellowship, selected Fellows will be provided with an en-suite, single-occupancy study bedroom. A temporary University card for access to the University and college buildings and temporary membership to the host college’s Senior Common Room will be granted for the period of residency.
- The fellowship will also include a return economy flight ticket, airport transfer, visa fee and a maintenance allowance for incidental expenses during the residence (up to £250 per week according to University guidelines).
Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) Visiting Fellowship Selection Criteria
Applications will be reviewed primarily on the quality and value-added of the proposed research agenda, the fit between the applicant and the Oxford host, and the feasibility of the proposed activities in the timescale of the fellowship.
How to Apply for Africa Oxford Initiative (AfOx) Visiting Fellowship
To apply for a fellowship, all applicants must have an Oxford-based researcher named as their collaborator on their application.
AfOx Fellows will be asked to select which of the AfOx research themes, Healthy People, Innovation for Prosperity, Integrated Societies and Green Futures, their project most closely aligns with.
Want Scholarship Abroad?
Get the latest scholarship update straight to your email.
Leave a Comment