The Abia State University (ABSU) admission form for postgraduate diploma and higher degree programmes for 2023/2024 academic session is out.
The management of Abia State University (ABSU) has announced the availability of admission forms for postgraduate diplomas and higher degree programmes for the 2023/2024 academic session.
Therefore, the management is calling on suitably qualified candidates to apply for admission into the institution to acquire their postgraduate diplomas and any other higher degree programmes.
Below are the Postgraduate admission requirements
ABSU Postgraduate Admission Requirements
The following constitute the minimum entry requirements for our postgraduate programmes:
Postgraduate Diploma Programme
- A graduate from a recognized university or a person with a qualification adjudged to be equivalent to a first degree may be admitted, provided the matriculation and Departmental requirements of this university are satisfied.
- A holder of Upper Credit in the HND from a recognized institution may also be admitted.
- Applicants for PGD in Business Administration must, in addition, possess credits at O’level in English Language, Mathematics, and Economics.
- Applicants for Diploma in Estate Management must possess a good honours degree in the appropriate professional examinations of the Nigerian Institute of town planners, and the relevant cognate experience may be considered.
- For a postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology, applicants must possess one of the following: B.Sc or HND in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Laboratory Technology, Food Science and Technology or Chemistry.
- For a Postgraduate Diploma in Pharmacology, applicants must possess B.Sc in allied services from reputable universities.
Masters Degree Programme
- A candidate with a first degree from a recognized University having a minimum of a second-class lower division may be admitted, provided the university matriculation and Departmental requirements are satisfied.
- However, candidates with a CGPA of 2.6 on 4 point scale or 3.00 on 5 point scale and above will be given preference.
- A candidate with a good postgraduate diploma from a recognized University may also be admitted.
- Candidates for M.A. and M.ED who do not hold a degree in the relevant field may be required to do Postgraduate Diploma in the course of study.
- Applicants for the Business Administration course and Industrial Sociology and Personnel Management programmes must have credit level passes in English Language, Mathematics and Economics at O’level.
- For the Masters’s Degree in Surgical Pathology or Human Physiology, applicants must have M.B.B.S. or equivalent degree obtained from this university or any recognized University.
- Also, for the Masters’s Degree in Human Physiology, a good second-class Honours in Physiology is acceptable. In addition, a good degree in related subjects, provided the Physiology content is substantial, will be considered.
- For the Master’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Estate Management holders of Abia State University Postgraduate Diploma in any recognized University in Urban and Regional Planning at the merit level and above will be considered.
- For M.Sc in Clinical Optometry, applicants must have O.D. from an accredited school and ODORBN with a CGPA of not less than 3.00 on 5 Point scale.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree MPhil/Ph.D
- Candidate with a good Master’s degree (NOT MBA) in the relevant or related discipline, which includes course work and a defended research dissertation from a recognized University, may be admitted, provided the university matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- Candidates with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 on the 4-point scale or 4.0 points on 5 point scale will be given preference.
- Candidates must have obtained a 60% average in both the course work and the Master’s Dissertation examined by an External Examiner and involving an oral defence.
- In addition to these admission requirements, candidates may be required to present themselves for selection tests and interviews.
- Candidates with CGPA lower than 3.0 on 4 point scale or 4.0 on 5 point scale will be required to do an MPhil/PhD.
Photocopies of the NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificate, and photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level, must be attached to the completed application forms.
Transcripts should be sent directly to the Secretary of the School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is to the detriment of the applicant.
Duration of ABSU Postgraduate Programmes
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Full-Time: Minimum of four semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Part-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of fourteen semesters.
How to Apply for ABSU Postgraduate Admission Form
- Candidates should proceed to any of the following banks: First Bank Plc, Zenith, UBA, Ecobank Plc, ABSU MFB Uturu, Keystone Bank Plc, Fidelity Bank Plc, Union Bank, and Skye Plc.
- Log on to the e-transact network and request to pay an application fee of N11,500 for the form and service charges.
- Collect the e-transact receipt from the Bank on payment and proceed to any internet centre to complete the form.
- Log on to the ABSU portal and complete the application form.
- Finally, confirm your entry and print a copy of the form and three copies of the referee confidential reports, which will be forwarded to your referees for completion (Two of these should be the candidate’s former teacher at the University level).
Note that the deadline for application is 29th April, 2023.
Ensure you keep tabs on us for more articles and updates about the ABSU Postgraduate programme and the University in general.
Share this article with your friends.