Suitably qualified candidates are invited for admission into the underlisted Higher Degree and Postgraduate Diploma Programmes of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, for the 2023/2024 Academic Session.
AAU Postgraduate Admission Requirements
Master’s Degree Programmes Admission Requirements
- Candidates must possess at least a Second Class Honours Degree from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, or any other recognized university in the relevant discipline.
- Third Class Bachelor’s Degree plus PGD or HND and any professional qualification with appropriate PGD from a recognized university.
- Holders of LL.B with at least Second Class Honours or Third Class Honours with a B.L. and with at least five years post-call experience may be considered for the LL.M programme.
- For Masters of Arts in French studies, holders of B.A. or B.ED (French) with a minimum of Second Class Lower Division of any recognized university.
- For Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Public Administration (MPA) holders of a Bachelor’s degree not below Second Class Lower Division in any discipline OR Third Class Degree/HND plus postgraduate diploma in any administration-related discipline, plus at least one year post qualification experience.
- Candidates for the M.Sc programme in Business Administration must have:
- At least five credit passes (or equivalent) in GCE O/L or WASCE or NECO or NABTEB which should in all cases include English Language, Mathematics, and Economics or Commerce or Accounting and which must have been obtained at not more than two sitting.
- A minimum of a B.Sc degree (Second Class Lower Division) in Business Administration from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma or any other University in Nigeria and Overseas recognized by the Senate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
- A holder of the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration/Management from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma or any other University in Nigeria and Overseas recognized by the Senate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma with an average score of 50% may also be considered.
- Candidates with HND (Upper Credit) in Business Administration/Management from a recognized Polytechnic must possess additional qualifications such as MBA, PGDBM, etc.
- For a Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Science, other relevant Professional Qualifications may be considered on their own merit.
- Candidates who possess any of the following qualifications may be considered for admission:
- Graduate of Ambrose Alli University with a Masters degree in a related discipline.
- Graduate of any other approved University with the qualification specified in (i) above
- Other Departmental requirements as stated in the School of Postgraduate Studies Handbook
Admission requirement into Master of Science (M.Sc) Programme
- Admission requirement for Master of Science in Strategic Studies and Policy and Development studies will be Second Class (Hons) Lower Division upwards. However, the related areas of studies to qualify for admission will be the same as above (pgd)
- A graduate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, or any other University of recognized standing who possesses Master’s degree appropriate to the intended course may be admitted. However, such intending candidate should have scored an average of 60 percent in his/her Master’s degree or M.Phil programme.
- Departmental Requirements: notwithstanding the above, a department may require an applicant, as a condition for admission, to undergo appropriate test, interviews, and examinations and/or take appropriate pre-requisite or concrete courses.
- Students, where applicable, would be made to fulfill the Ph.D qualifying examination requirement to confirm their candidature before registration of their titles/proposals.
List of AAU Postgraduate Diplomas and Requirements
Department of Crop Science (Full-Time Only)
B.Sc with a third class degree in any area of Agriculture or related science disciplines, including Botany, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Forestry, and Agricultural Education from further academic pursuits in crop science.
Department of Animal Science (Full-Time Only)
B.Sc with a third-class degree in any area of Agriculture or related science disciplines, including Botany, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Forestry, and Agricultural Education from further academic pursuit in crop science
Postgraduate Diploma in Architecture
At least a Third class Hons degree in Architecture
Postgraduate Diploma in Geography and Regional Planning (PGDGRP)
At least Third Class Honours degree in Geography and Regional Planning or any other related discipline relevant to Geography from AAU or any other recognized equivalent institution holders of HND/HNC from a recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology may be considered.
Postgraduate Diploma in Engineering (PGDENG) (Civil, Elect/Elect, and Mechanical and Material & Production Engineering)
Holders of good HND in Engineering with at least four (4) years post-qualification cognate experience or Graduate in fields relevant to Engineering of any recognized University shall be considered.
Postgraduate Diploma in Botany (PGDB)
At least Third Class Honours Degree in Botany or other Science-related disciplines.
Postgraduate Diploma in Chemistry (PGDIC)
a. At least Third Class Honours Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemistry Education.
b. HND with a Credit pass in Chemistry or other Science related disciplines.
Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science (PGDCS)
a. At least Third Class Honours Degree from Ambrose Alli University or any other recognized institution in a Science-based discipline. Other relevant professional qualifications may be considered on their own merit.
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics (PGDS)
At least Third Class Honours Degree in Statistics or Mathematics from Ambrose Alli University or any other university of recognized standing
Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology (PGDM)
a. At least Third Class Honours or Pass degree in Microbiology from Ambrose Alli University, or any other University of recognized standing, in the relevant disciplines such as Biology, Biochemistry, and Food Technology.
b. Holders of FIMILS and AIMLS in Science related disciplines.
Postgraduate Diploma in Biochemistry (PGDBCH)
At least Third Class Honours degree in Biochemistry or other related Science Disciplines
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics (PGDS)
At least Third Class Honours Degree in Statistics or Mathematics from Ambrose Alli University or any other university-recognized standing
Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM)
- First degree from Ambrose Alli University or another recognized University
- H.N.D from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent.
- Full professional qualification of recognized professional Bodies approved by the Senate of the University.
Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration (PGDPA)
A graduate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, or any other recognized University in any discipline or holder of H.N.D in any discipline with at least three years cognate experience
Centre for Strategic and Development Studies (PGD)
The admission requirement includes HND (Less than merit) or a bachelor’s degree (with less than second class lower)
For Postgraduate Diploma (PGD): Strategic Studies, the related areas will include International Relations, Political Science, History, International Studies, and Law.
For Postgraduate Diploma (PGD): Policy and Development Studies, the related areas will include Economics, Public Administration, and any other Social Science Course.
Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
A graduate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, or any other University of recognized standing who possesses a good first-degree classification acceptable to the Senate.
In all cases, candidates must possess the National Youth Service Scheme (NYSC) Discharge Certificate or Exemption Certificate.
Duration of AAU Postgraduate Programmes
The duration of the courses to be offered shall be as follows:
Ph.D Programme (Full-Time):
- The duration shall be a minimum of three (3) academic sessions, and a maximum of five (5) academic sessions.
Ph.D Programme (Part-Time):
- The duration shall not be less than five (5) academic sessions and a maximum of eight (8) academic sessions.
Master’s Degree Programme (Full-Time):
- The duration shall be a minimum of three (3) Semester and a maximum of Six (6) Semesters. Extension may be allowed for not more than two semesters.
Masters Programme (Part-Time):
- The duration shall be in the range of a minimum of three (3) academic sessions and a maximum of four (4) academic sessions. An extension may be allowed for not more than
one (1) academic session.
- The duration shall not be less than one (1) academic session for Full-Time and not more than two (2) academic sessions for Part-Time.
Note: In exceptional cases, an additional extension of not more than one (1) academic session may be approved by the Senate on the recommendation of the Board for all the postgraduate programmes.
How to Apply for AAU Postgraduate Admission Form
Applicants are required to obtain admission forms from the Office of the Deputy Registrar/Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Once the forms are obtained, they must be returned to the same office along with any required accompanying documents. The deadline for the collection and submission of forms is January 31, 2023.